Next Steps - 2 Day Training - Refresh, Reinforce and Consolidate
For Core/FSL (Grades K-12) and French Immersion ( Grades 3-6) Late Immersion/Extended French ( Grades 4-8) with Edite Sammons (Day 1) and Wendy Maxwell (Day 2)
Are you ready to improve your AIM teaching practice? A refresher is just what you need! This course will reinforce the AIM approach and will help you drive deeper student engagement.
IMPORTANT You may register only if you have the following pre-requisites:,
- You know all the gestures from a Step One kit.
- You have successfully modelled all partner/group activities up to and Including Partial Questions.
- You have actively used AIM for the past two years.
- You have implemented a Step One kit in full.
- You have attended an AIM Level 1 Training in the past three years.
if you do not have one or more of the above pre-requisites you may either repeat a Level 1 training or wait until you meet the pre-requisites.
This is a NEW workshop for AIM teachers! It is designed to provide extensive hands-on experience with a few aspects of AIM that teachers often need to review and reinforce. It is a preparatory workshop for success with Level 3 Up your Game with AIM workshop, which we are modifying to meet the needs of more experienced AIM teachers.Cost: $429.00 per teacher (Includes AIM Teacher Training Modules) or you can bundle with our 1-Day AIM Specialty Sessions for $599.00.
Dates: Sunday, February 4, 2024 and Sunday, February 11, 2024
Times: 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. PST / 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST
Download PDF (coming soon)
In these sessions you will:
- improve your understanding of and practice with the basic Gesture Approach techniques
- receive extensive hands-on practice with TLSE/Spontaneous gesturing, to improve your proficiency with the ongoing gesturing with your class
- learn how to maximize language use through basic oral questions and other activities
- learn simple, effective vocabulary-building oral activities/games
- review some basic written modelling techniques as well as ones that push students further in their ability to maximize language use and begin to edit their own work
- review and extend your knowledge of AIM classroom systems and routines that develop language proficiency and engagement during written partner/group activities
- develop your skills in implementing one of AIM's most important creative Activities: Story Retelling
You will receive recordings of the sessions to view at your leisure for 90 days!
BUNDLE your 2-day training with our 70-minute Specialty Sessions on February 17th!
1-Day AIM Specialty Sessions (Regular Price $215.00)
Each session will be 70 minutes long. You will receive a link to each of the 5 live sessions, and can attend whichever ones you like. Since some of these sessions may overlap, you will receive recordings of the sessions to view at your leisure for 90 days!
Date: Saturday, February 17, 2024
PLENARY 7:15 am-7:30 am PST / 10:15 am-10:30am EST
1. Story Extension and Book Publishing - 7:30am-8:40am PST / 10:30am-11:40am EST
with Wendy Maxwell, Creator of the AIM
Prerequisite: For teachers of Core French/FSL or Immersion students (Grades 2 and up) who have taken the Beginner Foundations or live Beginner Training.
In this 70-minute session, we will focus on:
- reviewing the AIM strategies and techniques designed to support your classroom management
- introducing new strategies developed that have worked effectively such as 'le prof du jour'
- sharing with each other additional systems and strategies that have been effective
2. Hands-on Practice with AIM Readers - 8:50am-10:00am PST / 11:50am-1:00pm EST with Pauline Galea
- demonstrate how to use Pauline's new readers series 'Les sons' with your students, both to teach the emergent readers in early immersion classes and to help older students in grades 3, 4 or 5 and who are new to the language, recognize sounds that are particular to French.
- provide hands-on practice to show how to effectively use AIM strategies such as des questions totales et partielles and
- provide hands-on practice with activities such as Vrai ou Faux ?, Qu'est-ce que tu vois dans l'image ? and Décris l'image to develop oral language skills in short, simple activities that may be done anytime with very little preparation!
3. Hands-on Grammar Practice - 10:10am-11:20am PST / 1:10pm-2:20pm EST with Edite Sammons, Chief Curriculum Consultant
Prerequisite: For teachers of Core French/FSL or Immersion students (Grades 2 and up) who have taken Level 1 Beginner AIM Training.
In this 70-minute session, we will focus on:
- gesturing targeted grammar concepts including les infinitifs and le passé.
- demonstration of AIM's Corrige les erreurs activity and
- the effective use of the error correction code.
4. La vie en action ! Developing creativity with silent movies - 11:30am-12:40pm PST / 2:30pm-3:40pm EST with Richard Smith, Certified AIM teacher/facilitator
Prerequisite: For teachers of Core French/FSL or Immersion students (Grades 2 and up) who have taken at minimum Level 2 Training and who have completed a Step 2 Kit or above, confidently implementing Story Retelling and Extension with their students.
In this 70-minute session, Richard will show you how to use a silent movie to promote the development of descriptive vocabulary, thinking skills and creativity in a fun and motivating way! This workshop is for teachers whose students already have a developed proficiency in French and who have experienced both story retelling and story extension.
Up to 2 weeks prior 90% refunded.
No refunds two weeks prior to Winter Institute.